For adults and kids alike, autumn can seem like the last chance to make a frantic dash to enjoy the great outdoors; as temperatures cool and daylight fades earlier, days seem shorter. But fall is also one of the best seasons for creating fantastic family fun! Below are fifteen of our favorite fall family activities to help inspire you and your family to get out and enjoy all the season has to offer:
- Hiking: From the stunning foliage to the interesting natural wonders your children find along the path, hiking offers families a great chance to connect to one another and the natural world around them!
- Apple picking: Orchards are bursting with apples in the fall and spending an afternoon collecting these delicious fruits can pay huge dividends; apples are great for everything from cooking and baking to arts and crafts!
- Hayrides: Quintessential family fun; many hayrides offer families beautiful tours of farmland as well as a great chance to engage in sing-alongs or story telling together!
- Pumpkin picking: There is endless fun to be had in traipsing about fields filled with enormous pumpkins ripe for the picking; enjoy a few hours together selecting just the right pumpkin for your family's jack-o-lantern!
- Corn Maze: If you or your children have never gotten lost in a corn maze, you are truly missing out on one of fall's most simple pleasures!
- Baking: Pumpkins and apples aren't the only great treats fall has to offer; spend an afternoon sharing the joy of baking and cooking delicious fall foods with your children (i.e., breads, muffins, pies, cookies, etc.)!
- Farmer's Market: A family trip to your local farmer's market can be a great way to explore all the bounty that fall has to offer; from flowers to fruits and vegetables, it's a fun adventure for the whole family!
- Crafting: There are literally an endless number of fall crafts for families with children of all ages! Collect leaves, pine cones, and acorns and create a natural centerpiece or wreath; or check out your local craft store and select fall-themed items to create fun, decorative, seasonal pieces!
- Bonfires: Whether you enjoy s'mores, hotdogs on a stick, or just sharing spooky ghost stories, a bonfire is a fun way to enjoy a brisk fall evening as a family!
- Visiting local farms: Many farms offer visitors a number of fun fall activities; from hayrides and pumpkin picking to cider mills and fresh baked goodies, a farm is a great place to spend the day as a family!
- Planting bulbs and fall flowers: A great way to beautify your yard or terrace and enjoy some one-o-one time with your kids!
- Raking leaves: To adults it may seem like work, but to children raking leaves and playing in the piles can be an adventure!
- Petting zoos: Fall is a great time to hit local petting zoos; feeding and petting the animals offers families a chance to spend time together and to learn something new about the critters they are visiting!
- Making scarecrows: What could be more fun than spending time together as a family stuffing old clothes with straw and creating a scarecrow? If you have the time and resources, it can even be fun to do a whole scarecrow family!
- Decorating for the holiday seasons: Pumpkins, chrysanthemums, hay bales, and other decorative accessories can dress up your home and give you and your kids a chance to work together to make your home truly "homey!"
So whether you have fifteen minutes or a whole afternoon to spend making fun fall family memories, embrace all the season has to offer; from crisp breezes to delicious treats, autumn is rife with opportunities for enjoying family togetherness!
Safe and happy travels!