|image courtesy of chrisroll/|
- Outdoor Favorites:
- Hiking: From the stunning foliage to the interesting natural wonders your children find along the path, hiking offers families a great chance to connect to one another and the natural world around them!
- Apple Picking: Orchards are bursting with apples in the fall and spending an afternoon collecting these delicious fruits can pay huge dividends; apples are great for everything from cooking and baking to arts and crafts!
- Hayrides: Quintessential family fun; many hayrides offer families beautiful tours of farmland as well as a great chance to engage in sing-alongs or story telling together!
- Pumpkin Picking: There is endless fun to be had in traipsing about fields filled with enormous pumpkins ripe for the picking; enjoy a few hours together selecting just the right pumpkin for your family's jack-o-lantern!
- Corn Maze: If you or your children have never gotten lost in a corn maze, you are truly missing out on one of fall's most simple pleasures!
- Bonfires: Whether you enjoy s'mores, hotdogs on a stick, or just sharing spooky ghost stories, a bonfire is a fun way to enjoy a brisk fall evening as a family!
- Visiting Local Farms: Many farms offer visitors a number of fun fall activities; from hayrides and pumpkin picking to cider mills and fresh baked goodies, a farm is a great place to spend the day as a family!
- Planting Bulbs and Fall Flowers: A great way to beautify your yard or terrace and enjoy some one-o-one time with your kids!
- Raking Leaves: To adults it may seem like work, but to children raking leaves and playing in the piles can be an adventure!
- Petting Zoos: Fall is a great time to hit local petting zoos; feeding and petting the animals offers families a chance to spend time together and to learn something new about the critters they are visiting!
- Indoor Wins:
- Baking: Pumpkins and apples aren't the only great treats fall has to offer; spend an afternoon sharing the joy of baking and cooking delicious fall foods with your children (i.e., breads, muffins, pies, cookies, etc.)!
- Farmer's Market: A family trip to your local farmer's market can be a great way to explore all the bounty that fall has to offer; from flowers to fruits and vegetables, it's a fun adventure for the whole family!
- Crafting: There are literally an endless number of fall crafts for families with children of all ages! Collect leaves, pine cones, and acorns and create a natural centerpiece or wreath; or check out your local craft store and select fall-themed items to create fun, decorative, seasonal pieces!
- Making Scarecrows: What could be more fun than spending time together as a family stuffing old clothes with straw and creating a scarecrow? If you have the time and resources, it can even be fun to do a whole scarecrow family!
- Decorating for the Holiday Seasons: Pumpkins, chrysanthemums, hay bales, and other decorative accessories can dress up your home and give you and your kids a chance to work together to make your home truly "homey!"
So whether you have fifteen minutes or a whole afternoon to spend making fun fall family memories, embrace all the season has to offer; from crisp breezes to delicious treats, autumn is rife with opportunities for enjoying family togetherness!
Safe and happy travels!