The bad news - according to the World Health Organization's Global Burden of Disease data:
- in 2002, over 700,000 children under age 15 were killed by an injury.
- injuries are the leading cause of death for children after their first birthday; with the leading injury-related causes of death among children under age 14 of age being traffic injuries and drowning.
- for every injured child who dies, several thousand live on with varying degrees of disability; falls are a leading cause of burden of disease for children under age 14 in high-income countries.
- a large proportion of injuries occur in either the home or in leisure environments.
The good news - a study recently conducted by Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center demonstrated that injuries were significantly reduced for children living in homes with properly installed safety devices; indeed, it showed that childproofing a home can reduce injuries by 70% for young children.
While they may seem frightening at first glance, what these statistics effectively demonstrate is that childproofing of both home and leisure environments is the key to deterring fatal and serious injury. Travel-Tot is dedicated to providing parents with the tools and information they need to help keep their kids safe on the go! Check out some of our favorite portable safety gear below:
Safety First Wide Pressure Mount Fabric Gate: The ultimate in travel-friendly gates is here! This translucent, fabric, pressure-mounted gate offers parents a protective barrier (up to 60 inches) that affords them a clear view of their children; in addition, it is machine washable and fits into the included drawstring bag which fits easily into any suitcase! IMPORTANT: No pressure-mounted gate is safe for stairways or other elevated areas, but they can be great for doorways and supervised play areas!
Travel-Tot Travel Childproofing Kit: This innovative, compact kit contains an assortment of childproofing devices perfect for creating an extra layer of protection anywhere your travels may take you; from hotel rooms to Grandma's house! All components that install are attached with strong, temporary adhesive that comes off clean and without damaging surfaces or finishes when removed according to the enclosed instructions. IMPORTANT: No childproofing device is a substitute for vigilant parental supervision.
American Red Cross First Aid Kit: No car or home should be without one of these; from bandages and antibacterial solutions to ice packs, these kits have got most of life's little bumps and bruises covered!
First Aid Only Records Kit: A must have for any family on the go! This compact kit contains critical information cards for you, babysitters, doctors, grandparents, and any other caregivers for your children. Extremely helpful in case of emergency or in the event that you and your child become separated while travelling. Fingerprint, personal information, physical attributes and emergency contact cards are included.
BubbleBum Inflatable Booster Seat : Awarded Best Bet Booster by the IIHS, this innovative booster seat for children ages 4-11 seat is portable, lightweight, and inflatable. It deflates easily and rolls up into it's carrying bag for easy storage in backpacks, handbags or carry-on luggage. It is constructed of durable material and contains an air chamber cushion of memory foam for stability and structurally soundness in the unlikely event of a puncture.
Safe and happy travels!
* UPDATED 3-29-12: Due to the recently reported tragic infant death associated with the PeaPod portable sleep system, the product has been removed from this article. If you own a PeaPod please discontinue using it until there is more information about the safety of this product. If you are considering buying one, please consider an alternative product.