Thinking of taking a romantic jaunt this Valentine's Day, but worried that having the kids in tow could kill the mood? We've got 5 great tips for building time for intimacy into your itinerary!
|photo credit: seanmcgrath via photopin cc|
1. Stay and Play: Do your research and find accommodations that offer children's day camps, kids nights out, or babysitting. Build some "couple" time around these activities; share some time alone together during the day (try the spa, the beach, a jacuzzi, or just enjoy an amorous afternoon together in the privacy of your room!), enjoy a dinner alone together, a nightcap, a romantic walk (or, enjoy the evening together in privacy of your room!).
2. Go Cruisin': Many cruise lines cater to families with children of all ages! Most provide supervised activities and programs for children from pre-schoolers to teens, and many provide daycare/nursery facilities, freeing up a few hours for the two for you to enjoy one another's company and the romantic ambiance of the ship!
3. Do Not Disturb: Instead of staying in a hotel, consider renting a house or condo that offers separate bedrooms! Having separate sleeping quarters has obvious advantages and provides a relaxed atmosphere that fosters romance; pop the kids in bed and share a bottle of wine before heading to the boudoir!
4. Bring Along Babysitters: Whether you have an au pair, a nanny, a favorite babysitter, or grandparents, aunts or uncles who would enjoy sharing a trip, having an extra set of hands when traveling can come in handy! Not only will your child enjoy spending some time with a trusted caregiver other than his or her parents; but it can free up time for the two of you to sneak off for a romantic interlude!
5. Make the Time: If all else fails, create a schedule and stick to it. Establish and enforce a bedtime for the children that affords two hours just for the two of you at the end of the day. Make time to spend together as a couple and enjoy it! With a two-hour head start, your children should drift off to sleep soundly enough for the two of you to enjoy a little sleepy snuggling!
Wishing you all safe, happy, and romantic travels this Valentine's Day!